Thursday, July 11, 2013

Trying to Make a Home

This summer has been interesting, to say the least. It's been so busy with rehearsals and performance out the wazoo. AND, I never realized that performing made one feel so tired!!! When I get out of a show all I feel like doing is going back and staring blankly at my computer screen while I watch something on Hulu. Some days I don't even remember what I watch. I've been a bit brain dead . . .

From the moment that I arrived and moved my belongings back into a dorm room (something I never expected to do) I wanted the space to feel more like an apartment than anything: a place where I could relax and unwind. There's not much to do though when you have limited resources, limited decor and the room is lit by fluorescent lights. But I did my best. 

My three musts for making a place feel like a home are the following: 

 Plants.
Tea.
Books.

I honestly don't know if I could live in a place without those items. I think part of my soul has been frankensteined with that of a 1970's era hippy and the other half is 1920's flapper. The best combination, in my opinion. Because of this I always need to be surrounded by flora, my body craves tea like nobody's business and my mind longs for a good novel. It's pretty much all-encompassing. 



             


What makes your house into a home?



4 comments:

  1. Definitely those three things: plants, tea, books. Plants are an absolute must. Bringing the outside in as much as possible is great, which is why I love open rooms with lots of natural light. Plus I need art or posters or something on the walls to help remind me what I'm about. I like putting up quotes or posters with quotes on them, writing on the mirrors above the sink, etc. :)

    And of course houses don't feel quite like homes to me unless there's some kind of animal living there (on purpose). Cats are the most homey to me. ;)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Sonja. I can't wait to show you my room for this next year. It looks like it has plenty of natural light :)

      I concur! Maybe we should adopt an animal this year. I've been considering fish.

      Delete