Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Avant Garde Cello Playlist

Currently, I am studying classical cello performance. Because of this, I often listen to "the cello greats" like Mistislav Rostropovich, Pablo Casals, Jacqueline DuPre and YoYo Ma. Their perfection inspires me and stirs up appreciation, not only for the performer, but also for the composer of the piece.

 But sometimes I really enjoy hearing my instrument played in an unconventional way. I love listening to the raw talent of a self-taught prodigy, or the collaboration of a classically trained cellist who employs both their fingers and their vocal chords at the same time. I love feeling like the cello is new to me all over again. It makes me grin, makes my shoulders dance and gives me the urge to join the Portland Cello Project (Someday! *wistful sigh*). 

When I'm in that mood these are the songs/pieces that hit the spot! 
Enjoy, fellow cello lovers!


Mahogony Sessions: Ayanna Witter-Johnson 

Zoe Keating: Avant Cellist (Check out her site here)


Apocalyptica - They do Metallica covers!

NPR: Tiny Desk Concert


Harpeth Rising (check out the awesome cello riff!)

Mahogony Session - Ben Howard

No comments:

Post a Comment