Sunday, April 7, 2013

March - Peace and Calm




PEACE IS: 

1. A state of tranquility or quiet

2. Freedom from disquieting or oppressive thoughts or emotions

3. Harmony in personal relations

CALM IS:

1. A state of tranquility (tranquil = 1. free from agitation 2. steady, stable)





3 ways I will strive for Peace/Calm in my life:

1. Pray first

2. Maintain my exercise routine (running 3x per week and lifting weights 2x)

3. I will read good books :)



P.S. And I will drink LOTS of green tea ;)



So . . . How did it go?!?!

Okay, I think. Peace is something that is really difficult to measure (one thing I've figured out this month). But I thing that has really improved this month is my ability to tell myself "I have no control over this situation and therefore will not stress myself out."

Example: I worked as a barista on Easter Sunday. The coffee shop at which I work is located inside a church and thus while Sunday is probably a pretty chill day at most other coffee-based businesses, for us, it is CRAZY! (especially Easter Sunday because we had three services). Anyhoo . . . there was a moment when the line seemed a mile long, my hair was frizzing out, I was covered in sweat and coffee grounds and pulling shots as fast as my arms would allow me to move. I remember being in a COMPLETE frenzy and just thinking over and over again "Oh my gosh! I need to go faster! I can't keep up with the line!" But then after thinking about it for a second, I realized that had I the ability to make espresso faster than I was currently it wouldn't make the situation any less stressful. My ability to speed through tasks does not create happiness or peace. Peace comes from inside of me. So I took a deep breath, smiled and was suddenly overwhelmed with an astounding amount of peace in the situation.

I think I shall do that more often. Now the real task will be to do that while playing my cello  . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment